Parenting Remarkable, Exceptional Children...one day at a time.
Can parenting your child be called an adventure?
Have you ever wondered how your out-of-the-box child will survive to adulthood?
Have you ever been told that your child MIGHT be or have…
Sensory Integration Dysfunction
Learning or developmental delays
on the Autistic Spectrum
Congradulations! You have a remarkable, exceptional child!
Raising any child has its challenges. Raising a child who is out-of-the-box is an adventure! These children have a wonderful, amazing perspective on the world. Sometimes they demonstrate greatness in areas not even considered by regular kids. Seeing them in action can be inspiring and exhilerating.
It can also be exhausting.
I am a retired teacher and mother of two children. The first one was a mother's delight, so we decided to have another...
She was definitely out-of-the-box.
I spent a lot of time with doctors, therapists, and other parents who were in the same situation: lots of possibilities... I’ve consulted with teachers and program directors, researched for hours upon hours and read a library full of books.
The bottom line?
Welcome to my website.
All of those wonderful people have given me so much valuable information! Here, you will find a collaboration of wisdom, insight, a little humor, and a few hard lessons
It's my hope that you leave a little more reassured, confident, and relaxed.
Enough talk. Let's begin!
- Embracing Remarkable
- Being remarkable isn’t reserved for the super successful or the famous. It is available to everyone; even children. The best part is that being remarkable does not require perfection.
- Create a Dream Team For Your Child
- Your out-of-the-box child may have unique behavioral challenges. Each member of your team can offer fresh insight and suggestions!
- Parenting in a Cookie Cutter World
- Parenting an out-of-the-box child in a cookie cutter world is a challange! There are many ways to rise to the occasion and create a more peaceful home.
- Education Is For Everyone!
- Education is a huge part of life, and how your child does academically and socially will have an impact on who they become as adults. Learn how to make it a positive experience for everyone.
- The Challenge of Discipline
- Do you struggle with discipline? Learn how to change your perspective and see your child as imperfect, unfinished, and full of possibilities.
- Routines Rule the Day
- All children thrive with established routines. Used thoughtfully, they can help you with every aspect of day-to-day living.
- What Is a Parent Advocate?
- Your child needs an advocate, and that's you! Learn how to be assertive and nice while making sure thier emotional, physical, and intellectual needs are met at home and at school.
- Neurological Differences 101
- The study of neurological differences is fascinating if you have an out-of-the-box child. Researchers are finding that the answer may boil down to wiring issues.
- The Out-of-the-box Child Has ADHD
- Most out-of-the-box children have ADD or ADHD. Treat it as a challenge, not a worry, and form a game plan for working with your child to harness the power of an amazing mind!
- Coexisting Conditions in Children
- If you have a child with ADHD or on the Autistic Spectrum, you may hear the phrase "coexisting" or "co morbid" conditions. Wondering what it means? You're at the right place!
- Therapy and Treatment Options
- Most adults think of therapy as lying on a couch. Kids may spend their time coloring, drawing, swinging or role playing, depending on the type of treatment.
- What is Sensory Processing Disorder?
- Sensory Processing Disorder is a common problem of children, and often misunderstood or mislabeled. A correct diagnosis can provide a signifigant piece to the puzzle.
- Could Executive Function Be the Culprit?
- Executive Function describes a series of tasks that are automatically performed every moment of every day. It has been proven that a weakness is this area will cause children to struggle in school.
- Social Skills: Breaking the Code
- Social Skills can be tricky things. In order to understand WHY it's so hard for children to grasp, you have to understand the background. So, welcome to your personal crash course on friendship!
- Organizing Tips, Tricks, and Techniques
- Organizing can be tricky. Some kids, especially those out-of-the-box ones, need extra help in learning how to evaluate, break down, and create manageable routines at home, school, and with friends.
- Checklists: Creating a Win-Win Situation
- Checklists are a wonderful way to designate authority in your house. It will teach your children to be more organized, give them a sense of accomplishment, and take the pressure off of you!
- Let's Get Cooking!
- Cooking for a child with allergies, intolerances or just pickiness can be frustrating! Fortunately, there are lots of strategies you can use to tame this tasteless monster.
- Fructose Intolerance in Children
- A diagnosis of fructose intolerance or fructose malabsorption disorder in children can be overwhelming! Get the facts you need and learn the three golden rules that will make your life a lot easier.
- Traveling With An Asperger's Child
- With a few adjustments, you can transform the nightmare of traveling with your Asperger's child into a more pleasant vacation for everyone.